Gastroenterology is the field of medicine relating to the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract. Gastroenterologists focus on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, this includes a range of organs starting at the mouth and ending at the rectum.
Digestive health and gastric specialists in Florida
We all experience minor digestive issues from time to time. But when those issues become more routine, it's time to talk about it.
From chronic diarrhea and persistent stomach pain to acid reflux and bloody stools - we know talking about these issues can be uncomfortable. But our gastric specialists across our HCA Florida Physician practices are here to listen and help you - without judgment.
Gastrointestinal conditions and symptoms we treat
Our gastroenterologists treat all kinds of symptoms, including diarrhea, constipation, bloating and indigestion. Some of the other conditions we commonly treat include:
- Abdominal and stomach pain
- Acid reflux
- Anorectal fissures
- Barrett’s esophagus
- Biliary tract disorders
- Cancers of the digestive tract, including colorectal cancer and gastrointestinal cancers
- Clostridium difficile (c-diff)
- Diverticular disease
- Esophageal diseases and disorders
- Gallbladder disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Inflammatory bowel diseases, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Intestinal blockages
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Liver diseases and disorders
- Motility disorder
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- Pancreatitis and pancreatic diseases
- Prostate disease
- Rectal abscesses, bleeding and prolapse
- Stomach disorders
- Swallowing disorders, including dysphagia
Our gastrointestinal treatments and services
Our practices offer a wide range of diagnostic exams as well as surgical and non-surgical treatments.
The best way to ensure your treatment plan is effective is to accurately diagnose you as quickly as possible. We offer a broad range of services to help with this, including:
- Bravo pH testing
- Common bile duct exploration
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Screening and diagnostic colonoscopy
- Small bowel enteroscopy
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy
We also offer some specialized gastric diagnostic procedures, including:
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
ERCP uses an endoscope to gently and carefully examine the duodenum (first part of your small intestine). Once we can see what's going on in there, we can send a catheter to add dye into the ducts, which can be viewed with an X-ray.
After the ERCP, we will have a much better view and understanding of your condition.
We are proud to be able to offer many of our patients this innovative, wireless procedure as an alternative to traditional endoscopy. This procedure involves you swallowing a small, pill-shaped camera and wearing a data-monitoring belt for eight or nine hours.
Our doctors will then review the footage once the capsule has been passed through your system. It allows them to see things in much more detail than other methods and is considered an easier process on you as well.
Gastric surgeries and procedures we offer
We'll do everything we can to get your system working right without using surgery. We can work with you on diet and lifestyle modifications as well as medications and other options. Sometimes, however, surgery may be the best option.
In these cases, we provide many different traditional surgeries, of course, but we also offer minimally invasive options — including laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgeries. These approaches enable you to have a quicker, easier recovery.
Some of the surgeries we offer include:
- Anal fistulectomy or fistulotomy
- Appendectomy (appendix removal)
- Cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal)
- Colon resections and surgeries
- Duodenal switch (DS)
- Esophageal surgery and varices banding
- Feeding tube placements
- Intestinal stenting
Anti-reflux surgeries (to treat acid reflux, heartburn and GERD)
If you have acid reflux, you may experience really uncomfortable symptoms like heartburn. You may also have chronic acid reflux, which can actually be gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This disease can lead to serious complications, including esophageal cancer, so we encourage you to talk to your doctor when you have any symptoms of reflux.
Our gastric specialists are experts at diagnosing these issues and offer three very effective and specialized surgeries to treat severe cases:
- Magnetic (reversible) banding
- Nissen fundoplication
- Weight loss (bariatric) surgery (for some cases)
Digestive and gastric doctors
We offer you a whole team of specialists and doctors who can help you deal with your stomach and intestinal problems, including:
- Digestive health specialists
- Gastrointestinal (GI) doctors
- General and orthopedic surgeons
These professionals will work collaboratively to care for you. They will continually consult with one another and keep you and your family informed throughout your treatment and recovery.