Urology is the practice of medicine that deals with the urinary tract and system. Problems may arise due to diseases or dysfunction of the urinary system. Urologists treat males and females but often specialize in the male reproductive system.
Urinary specialists in Florida
When you experience symptoms that indicate a change in your urinary health, such as painful urination, you want access to specialists who can provide answers.
That's what you get from the urologists of HCA Florida Physicians, our statewide network of providers. Our urologists, or urinary doctors, have years of experience diagnosing and treating urinary system conditions, from kidney stones to advanced prostate cancer. It is their goal to make you feel comfortable and secure in your care, which is why they take time to listen to you and get to know you throughout your treatment.
Urologic conditions we treat
Our urologists diagnose and treat all types of urologic conditions, including:
- Adrenal masses
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy
- Elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in the blood
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Genitourinary cancers (including prostate cancer)
- Kidney stones
- Low testosterone
- Recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Urinary incontinence and other types of voiding dysfunction
Our urologic care program
Urology involves the diagnosis, treatment and management of conditions affecting the urinary system and male reproductive system.
Reasons to visit a urologist
Patients typically schedule a visit with a urologist when they have symptoms affecting their urinary health, such as:
- Blood in the urine
- Burning during urination
- Decreased or abnormal flow of urine
- Feeling as if you can't empty your bladder
- Foul-smelling urine
- Frequent urination
- Inability to control urinary urges
- Inability to get or maintain an erection
- Painful ejaculation
We understand symptoms of urologic-related disorders can often be uncomfortable. That is why we are committed to accurately diagnosing your condition, so we can begin crafting the right treatment plan to restore your health.
Diagnosing urologic conditions
Our physicians use a wide range of diagnostic exams to help them efficiently understand your urologic health, which helps guide your treatment plan.
Some of our urologic diagnostics include:
- Biopsy — involves taking a small tissue sample to determine if the tissue contains cancer cells
- Cystoscopy — involves your physician using a cystoscope (thin tube with a camera attached) to view inside of your bladder and urethra
- Urodynamic study — examines how well the bladder, sphincters and urethra are storing and releasing urine
- Ultrasound — uses sound waves to produce detailed images of organs within the urologic system, such as the bladder, prostate and kidneys
- Percutaneous nerve evaluation — evaluates whether you will benefit sacral nerve stimulation, which can help with voiding dysfunction
- Post-void residual (PVR) test — examines how much urine is left in the bladder after urination
Urologic treatments and services we offer
We are dedicated to offering comprehensive urologic services and treatments so you can receive the type of care that's just right for you. Although we provide both surgical and nonsurgical treatments, your urologist will always strive to resolve your symptoms and condition by using the least invasive method possible. Some of our treatments and services include:
- Bladder irrigation
- Catheter insertion and removal
- Genitourinary cancer care
- Kidney stone removal (lithotripsy)
- Prostate cancer screening
- Stent removal
- Transurethral microwave therapy (TUMT)
- Urinary incontinence management
- Urologic surgery
- Voiding dysfunction treatment
Genitourinary cancer care
A cancer diagnosis is something no one expects, which is why HCA Florida Physicians is equipped with a comprehensive cancer care program. Through this program, our oncologists, urologists and other specialists collaborate to provide supportive resources and advanced treatments for patients with all types of genitourinary cancers.
Prostate cancer screening
We are just as dedicated to the early detection of cancer as we are to treating it. That is why we are pleased to offer PSA blood tests as a prostate cancer screening option. Using prostate cancer screening, we can detect the disease in men without symptoms, when the cancer is in its early stages.
According to the prostate cancer screening guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), men of average risk for prostate cancer should begin discussing annual screenings with their provider at 55 years old. We also recommend talking with your provider about your individual risk factors for prostate cancer, as your provider may suggest beginning screening earlier.
When medications, therapies and other nonsurgical treatments aren't effective at treating your condition, surgery may be necessary. Our team is experienced in performing a number of urologic procedures, including:
- Nephrectomy (total and partial)
- Prosthetic surgery for voiding dysfunction and erectile dysfunction
- Vasectomy, including non-scalpel vasectomy
Minimally invasive urologic surgery
Often, we are able to use minimally invasive techniques to perform urologic surgery. Minimally invasive surgery, such as robotic surgery, involves the use of tiny incisions and advanced surgical technology. This means we can offer you many surgical benefits, such as:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster postoperative recovery
- Less scarring
HCA Florida Physicians has a rigorous process for ensuring our providers have the credentials, experience and qualifications to provide high-quality, patient-focused care. As such, our urologists are board-certified leaders in their field.
As part of your diagnostic care and treatment — and depending on your condition — your urologist may work with other specialists within our network. These may include oncologists, pathologists and radiologists. With this type of collaboration, we are able to deliver comprehensive urologic treatment, regardless of your condition.
Looking for another location?